The symptoms of stress of include sleep disturbances or changes in sleeping habits, muscle tension, muscle aches, headache, gastrointestinal problems, and fatigue.
Symptoms of many pre-existing medical conditions can also worsen during times of stress. Emotional and behavioural symptoms that can accompany excess stress include nervousness, anxiety, changes in eating habits including overeating or undereating, loss of enthusiasm or energy, and mood changes, like irritability and depression.
Amanda has an incredible ability to heal, relax and calm. She is an exceptional therapist in a number of disciplines and has treated me many times over the last ten years for a variety of ailments. She is discreet, gentle and knowledgeable and I have found her treatments a revelation in terms of complimentary therapy and the results have been outstanding. I would recommend her to any of my friends and colleagues.Helen
Acupuncture can help by:
- Regulating levels of neurotransmitters (or their modulators) and hormones such as serotonin, noradrenaline, dopamine, GABA, neuropeptide Y and ACTH; hence altering the brain’s mood chemistry to help to combat negative affective states (Lee 2009; Cheng 2009; Zhou 2008);
- Stimulating production of endogenous opioids that affect the autonomic nervous system (Arranz 2007). Stress activates the sympathetic nervous system, while acupuncture can activate the opposing parasympathetic nervous system, which initiates the relaxation response;
- Reversing pathological changes in levels of inflammatory cytokines that are associated with stress reactions (Arranz 2007);
- Reversing stress-induced changes in behaviour and biochemistry (Kim 2009)
- Improving stress induced memory impairment and an increasing AchE reactivity in the hippocampus (Kim 2011)